William Coryell, MD | University of Iowa
Holly C. Wilcox, PhD | Johns Hopkins University
WHY A TASK GROUP?
Formed in September 2010, the Suicide Prevention Task Group has been leveraging the expertise of its members to strengthen existing efforts in suicide prevention for all age groups. Efforts to date have included providing significant feedback for the NNDC Common Assessment Package in relation to measures assessing suicidality.
- The Suicide Prevention Task Group is exploring ways to better utilize electronic health record tools to identify and help those as risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
- In 2019, the Suicide Prevention Task Group, in conjunction with the Bipolar Disorders Task Group, was awarded an NNDC Momentum Grant to facilitate procurement, management, and initial analysis of patient data from the NNDC Mood Outcomes Program, and to examine the risk of suicide in patients with bipolar disorder with mixed symptoms. These efforts yielded the following publications:
- Chung, T. H., Hanley, K., Le, Y.-C., Merchant, A., Nascimento, F., De Figueiredo, J. M., Wilcox, H. C., Coryell, W. H., Soares, J. C., & Selvaraj, S. (2023). A validation study of PHQ-9 suicide item with the Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale in outpatients with mood disorders at National Network of Depression Centers. Journal of Affective Disorders, 320, 590–594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2022.09.131
- Coryell, W., Wilcox, H., Evans, S. J., Pandey, G. N., Jones-Brando, L., Dickerson, F., & Yolken, R. (2018). Aggression, impulsivity and inflammatory markers as risk factors for suicidal behavior. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 106, 38–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2018.09.004
- Coryell, W., Wilcox, H., Evans, S. J., Pandey, G. N., Jones-Brando, L., Dickerson, F., & Yolken, R. (2020). Latent infection, inflammatory markers and suicide attempt history in depressive disorders. Journal of Affective Disorders, 270, 97–101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2020.03.057
- Fiedorowicz, J. G., Persons, J. E., Assari, S., Ostacher, M. J., Goes, F. S., Nurnberger, J. I., & Coryell, W. H. (2021). Moderators of the association between depressive, manic, and mixed mood symptoms and suicidal ideation and behavior: An analysis of the National Network of Depression Centers Mood Outcomes Program. Journal of Affective Disorders, 281, 623–630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2020.11.101
- Fiedorowicz, J. G., Persons, J. E., Assari, S., Ostacher, M. J., Zandi, P., Wang, P. W., Thase, M. E., Frye, M. A., Coryell, W., & of the National Network of Depression Centers Bipolar Disorders Interest Group. (2019). Depressive symptoms carry an increased risk for suicidal ideation and behavior in bipolar disorder without any additional contribution of mixed symptoms. Journal of Affective Disorders, 246, 775–782. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2018.12.057
- Persons, J. E., Lodder, P., Coryell, W. H., Nurnberger, J. I., & Fiedorowicz, J. G. (2022). Symptoms of mania and anxiety do not contribute to suicidal ideation or behavior in the presence of bipolar depression. Psychiatry Research, 307, 114296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2021.114296
- Sanches, M., Nguyen, L. K., Chung, T. H., Nestadt, P., Wilcox, H. C., Coryell, W. H., Soares, J. C., & Selvaraj, S. (2022). Anxiety symptoms and suicidal thoughts and behaviors among patients with mood disorders. Journal of Affective Disorders, 307, 171–177. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2022.03.046
For more information about this task group, please contact Program Manager Jennifer Taylor ([email protected]).
page updated: 02/2023